||The statue of Sir Charles Mark Palmer, designed by Albert Toft, was erected in 1903. It was unveiled on January 30th 1904 by Lady Palmer. It originally stood outside of the Palmer Memorial Hospital on Clayton Street, Jarrow before being moved to Jarrow Riverside during the 1980s and 1990s. The statue now stands opposite the Jarrow Town Hall on Grange Road, Jarrow. Sir Charles Mark Palmer (1822-1907) founded the Jarrow Shipyard and Engineering Works in Jarrow in the 1850s. He was the first Mayor of Jarrow and the first MP for Jarrow. He presented the mayoral gold chain he is depicted wearing on the statue to Jarrow Council. The same chain is now worn by the Deputy Mayor of South Tyneside. The Palmer Memorial Hospital was founded in 1870 by Palmer in memory of his first wife, Jane.