||The land for North Marine Park was granted to South Shields by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The park, which was designed by the Borough Engineer Matthew Hall, was created from ballast hills and waste land. The work to create the park’s flowerbeds, rockeries and shrubberies was carried out by the Park Gardener Mr John Burns. Work on the park started in 1894. It was opened on 25th June 1890 by Sir John Mowbray. The bandstand and the Wouldhave Memorial can be seen on the left of the image. This postcard has a decorative surround.