||A view of the Tyne Lifeboat and Wouldhave Memorial looking towards Ocean Road. The end of Seafield Terrace can be seen in the distance. The Wouldhave Memorial was erected in 1889 in memory of William Wouldhave who designed the first lifeboat. The Tyne Lifeboat was built in 1833 and presented to South Shields Corporation in 1894 by the trustees of the Tyne Lifeboat Institution. It was destroyed during an air raid on South Shields on 2nd October 1941. A replica now stands in its place. The anchor on the right of the image is an Elizabethan anchor reputed to be from a galleon of the Spanish Armada. It was recovered from the North Sea in 1920. More information about William Wouldhave and Henry Greathead, the history of the lifeboat and the design and construction of the Wouldhave Memorial can be found in the “History of the Lifeboat” booklet in the Pamphlets collection of this website.