||The Wouldhave Memorial was erected in 1889 in memory of William Wouldhave who designed the first lifeboat. The Tyne Lifeboat was built in 1833 and presented to South Shields Corporation in 1894 by the trustees of the Tyne Lifeboat Institution. It was destroyed during an air raid on South Shields on 2nd October 1941. A replica now stands in its place. The phone box on the right of the image is the K6 design which were installed in towns in Britain from 1935 onwards. The Belisha Beacons, which can be seen on the left of the image, were first used on British roads to indicate crossing points from 1934 onwards but zebra crossings weren’t used until 1951. More information about William Wouldhave and Henry Greathead, the history of the lifeboat and the design and construction of the Wouldhave Memorial can be found in the “History of the Lifeboat” booklet in the Pamphlets collection of this website.