||The land for South Marine Park, which overlooks both the sea and the river, was granted to South Shields by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The park was created from ballast hills and wasteland as a public pleasure park and recreation ground for the people of South Shields and visitors to the town. The park was designed by the Borough Engineer, Mr Matthew Hall, and was laid out with terraces, pathways, flower beds and a purpose-built lake. It cost £10,000 to create and was opened on 25th June 1890 by Sir John Mowbray. The bandstand was opened in 1904 and was a popular venue for brass band competitions and concerts. The original photograph is by Alex Drysdale. A corner of the postcard is missing.