Custom House, South Shields

Custom House, South Shields

Image Details

Title Custom House, South Shields
Reference Number STH0006611
Photographer Bardwell Keith
Town or Village South Shields
Date 1993
Original Format Colour photograph
Period c1990
Copyright South Tyneside Libraries
Further Information The Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields. Originally a shipping
office for the merchant navy. The building was built in 1863-64 with
an extension built in 1865. The present building is owned by South
Tyneside MBC (1992). It was converted into a theatre during the early
1990s and opened on 25th November 1994.The building comprises a
theatre of 441 seats, a 145 seat studio, a gallery, a restaurant, a
bar, a box-office, and a community room that holds 100 people. The
offices, rehearsal room and Community Room are located in refurbished
warehouses running alongside the main building (Daltons Lane).