||Black and white photograph showing the inauguration of Temple Memorial Park on 12 July 1961. Given by the Church Commissioners, covers 175 acres between King George Road and Boldon Lane and will be developed over a course of years, as one of the biggest recreational centres in the North East. The park was inaugurated by Mrs Frances Temple, Widow of Dr William Temple, former Archbishop of Canterbury. It was presented by the Commissioners in recognition of the services of South Shields during the 1939-1945 War. Mrs Temple with the Mayor and Mayoress, Alderman and Mrs R Dodds pictured at the unveiling ceremony. The park was named after the Most Reverend and Right Honourable William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1942 to 1944.